Episode 5 mechanics of jumping forward

Enaji1

Hi again,
In episode 5 between 17-20 minutes there are 2 types of jumping your feet towards your hands from the plank position. Why is the 2nd type where you lift your hips up and lower your head at the same time so difficult? Is it a lack of upper body strength, thigh muscle strength (cramping sometimes occurs here) tight hip flexors? Will the exercises in episode 2 around the 30 minute mark (sliding your feet along floor towards hands and lifting hips while feet are on the box) help strengthen my weak parts to do this exercise? Any other suggestions?
Natalie Reckert

Hiya,

So the jumping with lifting the hips gets easier the more you take your shoulders to the front over your wrists. Doing that will make it a bit more tiring for the shoulders.
Part of the exercise though is to get you used to jumping and lifting the hips, which will become useful once you want to practice jumping directly into a tuck handstand. It can be quite hard on your thighs. If you get cramps I would lower the number of reps.
The more upper body strength you have, the easier this will get.
The more you take the shoulders to the front the easier it will get.
At the same time it is a conditioning exercise and will always be quite tiring (even for me, these are not easy).

Sliding the feet up on the floor is also a great exercise to strengthen your ability to round your back as well as connecting your legs to your core strength. Try to pay attention to how you take the shoulders over the wrist in this exercise and try to transfer it to the jumping exercise.

Every exercise has varying degrees of dificulty for every individual person. If you find these particular exercises very hard, make it a bit easier for yourself by lowering the number of reps.

It sounds to me like you have followed the program quite thoroughly so don't worry if some of the exercises are still quite hard. It should be doable but may never be perfectly easy :)

Hope that helps,
Best
Enaji1

Yes, amazingly things do become doable. Through this course I’ve re-discovered that if you find a suitable pace and persevere the seemingly impossible eventually becomes possible....just was hoping there was a quicker way. Thanks for replying.
Natalie Reckert

Hi,
Happy to read that.
A process that takes a long time allows you to really get to know your body too.
Finding a suitable pace is so important.
Thanks for sharing.